Sierra Self Storage has partnered with Colfax's own JS West Propane to make it easy for you to exchange your empty propane tank for a freshly filled one, right here in town! Swap your empty tanks for new ones anytime MON-SAT during our normal office hours. We’ll replace your empty tank with a full one in just a few minutes!
We can accept 20 lb 'grill' style propane tanks for exchange:
Dimensions: 1' 6" in height and 1' in diameter.
Uses: Propane grills, generators, patio heaters, and other outdoor equipment. To purchase or exchange a 20 lb tank, just stop by during normal office hours, MON-SAT.
20 pound propane tanks are often referred to as grill cylinders and hold 4.6 gallons of propane when full.
We accept all brands of propane tanks and cylinders for exchange.
Our tanks are filled to 80% capacity. The 80% fill rule is a preventative safety measure against the fluctuations that happen inside a tank. Propane, like water, will expand with added heat. Propane, however, will increase in volume nearly 17 times greater than water with the same temperature increase. To allow for this expansion, propane containers are filled to only 80% of their capacity.
When transporting your propane tank, remember these tips;
- ALWAYS transport and store a cylinder in a secure and upright position so it will not fall, shift, or roll.
- ALWAYS close the cylinder valve and, if required, seal with a plug, even if the cylinder is empty. Ask your propane retailer if a plug is required.
- NEVER keep a filled cylinder inside a hot vehicle.
- ALWAYS place the cylinder in a well-ventilated area of the vehicle.
- ALWAYS proceed directly to your destination and immediately remove the cylinder from your vehicle.